Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Small Finish and a Large Start!

Good day stitching friends!  I have been getting into the Christmas spirit with some ornament stitching!  This piece by Homespun Elegance is featured in the 2013 Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue.  It caught my eye immediately!  It is called 'Majestic Bird' and I stitched it in DMC colour variations (the red) and Nina's threads (the green).  The bird is supposed to have a crown charm in his beak, which I changed to some stitched holly and ivy.  It is stitched on 28ct self-dyed evenweave and is finished as a simple hanging ornament, backed with the green fabric pictured.  


I have stitched some other ornaments from the 2013 JCS Ornament Issue, but I still need to do the finishing :)  

I also have a rather large start to share.  I have been wanting to stitch one of Heaven and Earth Designs Christmas ornaments for a while and finally decided to stitch 'Not a Creature was Stirring' by Donna Gelsinger.  It does not look like much yet, but I am really enjoying it!  I am stitching it 2 over 2 on 28ct parchment evenweave, so it won't be ornament size, but rather a size more suited to framing.


Here is what the painting looks like, isn't it beautiful?


I have been spoiled by Michelle from StitchCraft Place again - this time with a Christmas gift!  She sent me a gorgeous Christmas card, some limited edition sampler thread from The Gentle Art and some special Christmas tea.  Thank you Michelle!


That is it for today, enjoy the rest of the week and Happy Stitching!

Michelle


13 comments:

Southpaw Stitcher said...

That Homespun Elegance ornament caught my eye, too, and I absolutely love your finish! You are very brave to tackle a HAED, even if it is one of the smaller ones.

Mii Stitch said...

Michelle, that little bird is just gorgeous!! What a cute finish with the green fabric & little buttons, I really like it :) Good luck with you new Haed start!

Zeb said...

The ornament is lovely, and I really like how you've finished it :)
I think I need to put together a digital photobook of all the pretty photos of finishing as an idea generator LOL

And wow that HAED is going to be stunning when it's done!

Dani - tkdchick said...

I think that's one of the first ornaments I've seen from this year's issue that I like.

Michelle said...

Oh my I love that ornament - its on my to do list from the magazine. So cute x

Erna said...

I love your ornament Michelle, such beautiful colours you used.
Wow a HAED , so much work, but so much to enjoy. It's a gorgeous Santa.
Hugs
Erna x

Vickie said...

Great job! I too am stitching up Christmas ornaments.

Katrina said...

It's a lovely ornament and looks great how you've finished it :)

Carol said...

I really love your changes to Majestic Bird, Michelle! I'll have to remember the holly idea if I ever stitch that one... That is quite a new start--really amazing detail! You must be very patient :)

Brigitte said...

Oh so lovely, your ornament. And so creatively stitched with the change you made.
Great start on the HAED!

Kay said...

I really love your finish, especially the holly in the beak.

cucki said...

Aww so pretty..
Big hugs x

Lumiruusu said...

The red bird in the christmas ornament looks just perfect and I really admire your finishing skills too!